Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Demoralizing Recollection

At about 7:20 this morning, I was finishing up my ablutions and tidying up our bedroom. I was getting ready to go down stairs and have my devotion time. As I approached the bottom of the stairs, I had a very demoralizing recollection. Last night when we got home from prayer meeting, Hadassah and I needed to take out the trash. So I carefully took my Bible and prayer book out of the back seat of our Tracer and laid them on the roof. "That way I'll remember to take them in," I thought to myself. As I approached the bottom of the stairs this morning, I realized that I have forgotten to bring in my Bible and prayer book. Normally this would be not problem at 7:20am because Hadassah usually leaves for work at 9:30am. But this week she has been leaving at 6:00am.

So I frantically looked around the house for my Bible. In the loft... in the living room... in the basement... But my fears were founded. They hadn't made it in.

After a frantic call to Hadassah to determine if they had made it to work with her... I decided to go looking for them. I drove the route Hadassah uses to get to work and even decided to get on the toll way. As I went around the on ramp from i335 to i55, there on the side was my Bible. Pages bent and crumpled, but all fully intact. I said a thank you prayer and returned home. Then I said to myself, "If God blessed me one time, he can certainly bless again." So I repeated the trip looking for my prayer book. But alas... I didn't find it.

So I came home. It was windy last night and the trash that had been out all night waiting for the sanitary engineers to come by and blown all over. I took the empty recycle bin and cleaned up the trash. Then I headed to take our neighbors recycle bins up to her house like I usually do. And there, in her drive way, was my prayer book!

So I feel complete. I have been reunited with my Bible and my prayer book. Today I not only feel blessed, I am blessed! Thank you God!

No comments: