Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Is My Dog Dead?

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting my my fire reading The Missional Leader when I noticed PJ, my Chihuahua behaving strangely. At first I thought he was behaving lewdly, but then I realized something was wrong. His legs were stiff, his back was arched, and his breathing was tense--like he was hyperventilating.

I was on the phone with Adam (my brother-in-law) when this all happened. Adam didn't know what to do on the other end of the line. After about 2 minutes (at least it felt that long), PJ relax and just sat dazed on the couch. He seems fine today... maybe a little more tired that usual. I'll watch him closely today. I know that if I take him to the vet, they'll tell me to watch him and bring him back if it happens again.

We think he either overheated or got a little carbon monoxide poisoning. I've placed a carbon monoxide detector by the fire place so that next time we have the fire lit we'll know if it is poisoning us.

No comments: