Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Iraq Revisited

A few weeks ago I wrote a post "Why Did I Have to be Right?" about the situation in Iraq. In that post I stated that I wasn't sure how America should proceed with the reconstruction of Iraq. At the time, neither "surge" nor withdrawal sounded good to me.

Since that blog, I have become more educated on Iraq. I have read Naked in Baghadad, the account of Anne Garrels who was one of a very few American journalists to stay in Baghdad during the invasion in 2003. I have also heard more reports, read more articles, and had more conversations. I can now state unequivocally that the only solution for Iraq is non-violent, non-military. I seriously doubt that the US can find the solution for Iraq. When the US does withdraw, which in inevitable, Iraq will still be a mess. The only hope for Iraq is political and economic. And it will demand a coalition of the "unwilling" To put Iraq back together. America, the hoards of brave Australians, and prince Harry do not have the political clout, popular support, or moral stature to bring a good conclusion to the matter.

No comments: